From our Petco Love Partners:
What to do if your pet goes missing:
Walk the neighborhood and speak to any neighbors, postal service workers, landscapers, or anyone who may have seen your lost pet. Most pets are found close to home.
Share their scent by putting a couple of your pet’s favorite items near the most common entry ways to your home. You can include items like their favorite bed, blanket, toys, litterbox (if cat) and any other items they use frequently. Their scent may help them find their way home.
- Search for your lost dog or cat on Petco Love Lost. HCAS has partnered with Petco Love Lost to easily help search the national lost and found database and create a searchable/shareable alert for you missing pet. Upload a picture of your pet or search by location. Powered by facial recognition technology, Petco Love Lost helps match found animals to reported lost pets nationwide. Visit Petco Love Lost and search now.
- Use the sharing features on Petco Love Lost to distribute your lost pet listing on other social media outlets like Facebook, Craigslist and Nextdoor.
- Make sure you pet’s microchip information is updated. If a finder takes your missing pet to be scanned for a microchip, you want to make sure that all the information is correct so that you will be contacted immediately.
- Check with your local animal services, animal control and animal shelters.
- Continue to spread the word about your missing pet by making sure any posters or flyers are large and bright with only relevant information on them. Place in high traffic areas and in the vicinity of where your lost pet went missing.
- Don’t give up! Finding a lost pet can take time. Remember to regularly check websites that you have posted your lost pet on and make updates as needed.